Ethics in Maths
The official list of TOK ethics in maths questions.
- If mathematical knowledge is highly valued, does this place special ethical responsibilities on mathematicians when they are making claims?
- On what criteria could we decide whether mathematicians should be held responsible for unethical applications of their work?
- How are unethical practices, such as “data dredging”, used by statisticians to deliberately manipulate and mislead people?
- Is it ethically justifiable for academic mathematicians to spend time doing research that does not have immediate useful applications?
- Do mathematical judgments and ethical judgments face similar challenges in terms of the evidence available to support them?
- Are mathematicians the people best placed to create codes of ethics for professional mathematicians?