Ethics in the Arts
The official list of TOK ethics in arts questions.
- In what ways are moral judgments similar to, or different from, aesthetic judgments?
- Do the arts play a role in the development of our personal value systems?
- How important is the study of literature in our individual ethical development?
- Is the production and enjoyment of art subject to ethical constraints?
- On what criteria could it be decided if the state has the right to censor art that is deemed immoral or blasphemous?
- Do the arts have the power to challenge established moral values?
- Are moral and aesthetic judgments more a matter of taste than a matter of truth?
- Can we separate the moral character of the artist from the value of the artwork?