Ethics in Technology
AI and ethics is the hot topic at the moment.
This recent (2023) report on the military use of IA that “you can’t have a conversation about artificial intelligence, intelligence, machine learning, autonomy if you’re not going to talk about ethics and AI”.
The official list of TOK ethics in technology questions.
- How might technology exacerbate or mitigate unequal access, and divides in our access, to knowledge?
- Does the existence of the deep web influence our view on whether some knowledge should remain secret or largely inaccessible?
- Should we hold people responsible for the applications of technologies they develop/create?
- Are there situations where ignorance/lack of knowledge is an excuse for unethical behaviour?
- On what criteria could we decide whether activities such as “hacktivism” are morally justifiable? To what extent have technological developments led to an increase in data being collected without people’s consent or when they are unaware that it is being collected?